Moving Tips – At A Glance:
The following is a partial list of moving tips, based on some of the most important things to consider. Refer to our packing tips and moving checklist for more detailed moving tips and helpful moving advice.
- Stock up on packing supplies. Moving boxes, bubble wrap, newspapers, packing foam, packing tape, plastic totes – anything and everything you can gather (ahead of time) will help when it’s time to begin packing.
- Start the packing process early. The earlier you begin packing, the more organized and stress-free you’ll be.
- Mark all moving containers with the contents and location in your new home. You can lose a lot of time (you and / or your movers) digging into boxes to figure out what they contain, and where they go in your new home.
- De-clutter and purge unwanted items. The more items you can donate, give away or sell, the lighter your load will be – saving you packing time, loading time and ultimately – money.
- Make a list of all utilities you’ll need to contact to set up end-of-service dates and final bill details; likewise with start-of-service dates at your new home. Check off each utility as you make arrangements.
- Make a similar list for all other bills, like mortgages, auto loans/leases, credit card and cell phone accounts.
- Try to move during the week, when more services like banks, government offices, utilities, mechanics and tow-services are open, in the event you run into any problems and need assistance.
- If you have pets, make plans well ahead of time as to where to keep them during the move – and how you’ll transport them to your new home.
- If you’re having FL Green Movers do the packing and moving, make sure to separate valuable and / or irreplaceable items like important paperwork / documents, jewelry, family heirlooms, keepsakes, photos or any other items you’d feel more comfortable moving yourself.
- Don’t forget to file your change of address with the Post Office.
- Plan ahead regarding prescription medications – make sure you’ll have enough with you during your move, and transfer prescriptions to your new pharmacy in advance of your move.